Thursday, December 22, 2011

Am I crazy or Just emtional?

OK guys this is going to be quite short & sweet. Today has been a hard day, I woke up in a gloomy mood, I've felt down and sad all day, and I just don't feel great. So as I have been on the couch/ floor trying to entertain my almost 3yr old something really make me cry. I typically am not one to be on a holier than thou pedi-stool, but as we were playing with a train, a commercial came on the TV about Santa. Payten quickly turns to me and as innocent as can be asked, " Mommy is it Christmas yet, cuz i want some presents?"  Now for the entire month we've talked to her about Jesus, his birth, a manger, the star significance, and even santa not bringing gifts.... We've really tried to put in emphasis on what Christmas really is about, not gifts from Santa and presents under the tree. So as my innocent 3 yr looked at me truely wanting it to be Chirstmas to have presents, it broke my heart.  As a child I loved Christmas. I loved the time of year and the way that people truely enjoyed the wonderful spirit of it all. But now that I have a child, ( especailly one that is born 2days before Christmas) I really dont want to get caught up in the whole Christmas = Presents and loose the true meaning. As I think about all the people I've talked to in the last week, everyone is caught up in finishing Christmas shopping, and who did I forget , or I really dont know what to give them.  So as I sit here contemplating everything, I ask is it wrong if we don't have the Typical Christmas this year? We have her presents, but would I be a horrible mom if for the FIRST Christmas that she really is conscious about what is going on around her, we wake up Christmas morning, have a nice breakfast, go to church and spend the entire day present free, and more focused on family and unity and Christ? We can always open presents a few days or even a week later. I mean they aren't going anywhere. So to all my friends I ask... Does this make sense, am i going crazy, or am i emotional cuz im prego, Or hell even both! I guess in a final thought, What is the best way to teach my child that CHRISTmas is about the birth of Christ! Its about the wonder gift that he gave us... His life, and Even his death was the greatest gift. And for my brother (I TRUELY LOVE YOU but i think your scrugeness is rubbing off on me) .. who might read this and be rolling his eyes, and thinking OH LORD here she goes holier than thou  OR ANYONE READING THIS I ask if you dont believe that Christmas is about Christ... Than why celebrate it. Do yourself a favor and dont stress about present shopping and the stores being packed with people, and every other non-related things that has turned into Christmas. SO let me know what you guys think, I know she's three, and I might be over thinking this. But im a FIRM believer that what i teach her now she'll have with her for the rest of her life. 
Hope it was just enough 
Panks

3 comments:

  1. I think you're right on the money! You can open presents anytime, doesn't have to be on Christmas. You could combine the 2, my brothers friend and his wife give their kids just 3 gifts each because that is what Christ got. That way, it is linked a little more. Just a thought. I do love your idea of centering Christmas day wholly on Christ, as it should be. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see nothing wrong with the way you are thinking. Matthew returned from his mission on January 25. In order to include him in our Christmas activity, we postponed Christmas until January. I tell you, it was no different on the 25th of January then it would have been on the 25th of December. I still felt the love of my family and the joy of having everyone together. And isn't that one of the real reasons for being together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's great that you are thinking about all of these things. It makes me want to do Christmas over again and make it more simple.

    ReplyDelete